Five Qualities of a Successful Hairstylist
Updated: Jun 15
Statistics show only a small percentage of hairstylists are living a comfortable life. While the other 80% are struggling to make, ends meet. In this article, I will break down the top 5 qualities the most successful hairstylists seem to have in common.
1. Emotional Intelligence — They know that doing great hair is only half of what makes a hairstylist successful. Their emotional intelligence has them in tune with how people feel. They know when they walk into the salon, the focus is no longer on them; they are now a part of the client’s journey. Top earning stylists know how important it is that their clients feel special throughout their entire salon experience. In fact, their main goal is to ensure every client’s journey in the salon is amazing, from the moment they call the salon, to how they feel walking through the doors, to how relaxed and comfortable they feel during their appointment. It is only when they have nailed the client’s journey that they will know they have succeeded. I consider this to be the most important quality of all.
2. Drive - These stylists will not wait for someone else to push them to the top. They are more than willing to put in the extra work it takes to set themselves apart. Due to their focused nature, you won’t find them in the back room getting sidetracked; instead, you will find them marketing themselves on social media or even checking in with their clients from days prior, making sure they still love their hair. They know time is money, so they spend their time wisely. Although self-driven, most invest in mentors, coaches, and advanced classes to keep their momentum going.
3. Goal Setters - They are serious about setting non-negotiable goals. They know where they are at financially and where they want to be. They are clear on retention rates (new and existing) and RTS (retail to service %). They set monthly, weekly even daily goals and know their “magic” number. Hint: The “magic” number is the amount of money they need to make daily to either support their current finances or propel them into the life they long to live. The process of goal setting is thrilling to them. The best way to track these goals and numbers is by journaling and tracking every single day.
4. Forward Thinkers - Because of their forward-thinking mindset, you will rarely hear them making excuses or complaining. Rather, you will hear them praising others and looking for ways to help everyone in the salon succeed. They are usually the ones in the salon that are not afraid of change; if anything, they are excited about it. They understand the concept of ‘If you win, I win.’ Making them great team players.
5. Authentic - I feel like this word has been tossed around a lot these days, but it’s true.
“Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It’s about the choice to show up and be real. The choice, to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen”~Brene Brown